Wow, it’s hard to believe I’m now doing a 4 month recap! It seems like just yesterday I was working on the 3 month and the 2 month and…
Overall, life has treated me pretty well in Spain and I would like to thank my lucky stars. I have felt more and more fortunate lately to be having this type of experience, this type of freedom and this type of opportunity. I’m trying to really make the best out of it, though in reality, there is not much effort needed. It’s quite easy to enjoy Barcelona life!
1. My Spanish understanding has improved, thank goodness. In fact, as odd a compliment as it may be, a parent told me how well I can understand. That means a lot to me. Understanding is still my weak spot, but I have spotted a big difference between month 3 and 4. I have even been able to understand bits and pieces of conversation when eavesdropping in passing, so that’s been great. BUT, it definitely comes and goes. Some days I’m unstoppable, other days I wonder what Spanish I have picked up at all.
2. I miss home, but I am having less and less cravings for certain American foods and snacks. That’s good cause I’m not getting them! Well, that’s not entirely true. I’m sure my visitors will be more than happy to bring me a few of my indulgences, like Nerds and granola bars, which in fact my parents did 🙂
3. I have expanded my group of friends and have met some great people who I really enjoy hanging out with on a regular basis.
4. I’ve gone skiing, gone to Carnaval, had some visitors and had some fantastic weekends in Barcelona. While everything isn’t always so hunky dory, since I am only human after all, I think it’s good to have had some punches thrown at me.
5. I’m getting more and more into my teaching groove, though that doesn’t come without challenges. Teaching kids who speak zero English is an uphill battle, but if I climb that hill, it will be all that much more rewarding.
6. And last, I no longer carry my Spanish dictionary around with me. I am confident that I can communicate whatever I want with simply describing the word, even if I don’t know the word itself.
Let’s hope month 5 is equally as good!
Some highlights from this month that include skiing, carnaval and random nights out with friends…